<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

The Dead Zone... 

I'm in that 49-55 age bracket, so I'm one of those workers whose retirement plans have been threatened by the Wichita divestiture. Unlike my coworkers over 55 (who can finally use Boeing's "early retiree" benefits), I don't yet know what my legal rights are regarding the early retiree benefits Boeing's been promising me for the past 25 years, having claimed it one of those intangible assets that offset our below-market wage.

I assume a great number of Wichita's "average early-50s" workforce have based some "life decisions" on Boeing's promise of early-retiree medical and pension. Desiring to escape the daily grind, a great number of my coworkers have passed on buying that stereotypical JetSki and Harley, pumping a bit more into their 401(k). Many have tried to get as big a raise as possible every cycle, going for increasing their salary for that "last 60 months" pension calculation. In any event, many of my coworkers have been planning to bail just as soon as possible after they turn 55 and can collectthat promised early retirement.

But the grapevine and, now, IAM President Rooney's message about their negotiations seem to be saying that the early retiree benefits Boeing's been dangling out in front of us for all these years are soon to be yanked from our outstretched hands, replaced with a management laugh and a sneered "Sucker!"

What's up wit' dat chit?!


-- Bill,who thinks Onex may be buying us with our own (pension) money...

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?