<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

"Any and all information concerning my employment with Boeing..." 

Best I can tell, the purpose of the "Consent to Release Personnel Information" is three-fold:

  1. It allows Boeing to give "job application" information from our Personnel files to Onex . Management has gone out of their way to say that they believe the waiver indicates our intent to apply for a job with their company. With this "application" Onex-TurnerCo can now give us a formal "offer." Of course, by asking for an offer, we've given up any right to a severance package, even if we eventually decline Mr Turner's reduced-salary offer to join his NewCompany.

  2. It allows Management to threaten our jobs. My favorite line in the entire release form is the one that closes the first paragraph: "I understand that a potential consequence of my not authorizing Boeing to furnish information to Buyer is that I will not receive an offer from Buyer."

    I was confused by this, so I sent a note to both Boeing-Wichita's and SPEEA's Distinguished General Counsels, which asked one question: "If I don't sign the release, does that mean that I _don't_ understand the potential consequence?" (I expect no response, but one replies "You're a funny guy")

    Which brings to question why that statement is in the release form: if I don't sign the release, the threat means nothing, and if I do sign the release, the threat means nothing. Except, of course, to imply that our jobs are in jeopardy. Of course, that's not much of a surprise as we're going into contract negotiations and management always uses "layoff scare" as its primary pre-negotiation tactic.


  3. Finally, it allows Boeing to avoid responsibility from any liability of "real loss" we might suffer, should (a) they accidently send Onex something that might cost us our future job or (b) if Onex then sells our personal information to telemarketers, to try to recoup some of the cost of the purchase of the Wichita Division... especially if it subsequently fails.



-- Bill, who doesn't need to make stuff up when the the truth is strange enough...
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?